Last weekend, the husband and I decided on a whim, to drive down to SoCal to pay a visit to the Flower Fields in Carlsbad before they close out for the season. It was a nice drive because we barely hit any traffic and the weather was warm and inviting. (We did a detour in Los Angeles but more on that later). We gave our friends a one day notice and just hoped they were free. Thankfully they all were!
We stayed one night at our friends home in Oceanside and another night at the Carlsbad by the Sea Hotel, which was conveniently located right across the Flower Fields (IG story to be shared shortly).
I purchased our tickets for the Flower Fields on April 29 for a May 1st visit. Surprisingly, there were many tickets available throughout the day, however, I decided for the last entry (5PM-5:30PM) so that we can enjoy our Sunday meeting, have a nice lunch, and have time to check in at the hotel and relax before heading to the Flower Fields. It sounded like a nice plan in my head, but little did I know, we would have an unpleasant experience later that afternoon.
Here is the hard lesson I learned: On their website it has 9am-6pm listed on their home page and no other disclaimer about adhering to strict operational hours. However, on the purchase ticket link, you can purchase tickets for the last entry from 5:00PM-5:30PM for the same price of $22. Which means, those who purchase the last entry only received one hour or 30 minutes of exploration time. I couldn’t help but feel gypped when, 15 minutes before closing, majority of the employees were telling all the paying visitors to exit the fields. We left feeling very frustrated.
Anyhow, the next day, I had to speak out for others and myself…that the Flower Fields should not charge the same price for the last entry and that they should, at the very least, not have tickets from 5:00PM-5:30PM if the fields close at 6PM. They understood my frustration and were very accommodating.
Because of this experience, I share with you this new knowledge:
- Do NOT purchase the 5:00PM-5:30PM tickets. (The 30 min window from the ticket means you can arrive between 5PM-5:30PM.)
- Do purchase tickets that allow at least 1.5 to 2 hours of exploration time. If you come with kids, allow for more time to enjoy the kiddie activities like the Sweet Pea Maze, collecting stamps at each location, having snacks, and the Wagon Ride (Additional $6/per adult and $3/per child).
- Tickets are $22/per adult, $20/per senior 60+ or military, and $10/per child (3-10 years old).
- If you do not wish for your feet to get dirty and dusty, wear closed toe shoes that are comfortable to walk in.
- The Flower Fields typically close on Mother’s Day weekend but this season has been extended to May 15, 2022. Tickets are also half off now! ($11/per adult, $10 per senior 60+ or military, and $5/per child).
Overall, it was a solid experience! A field of more than 50 acres of ranunculus, gladiolas, and even sunflowers…leaving me with a delightful memory and a lasting feast for my eyes.